What To Do After the Funeral
After a funeral, grieving family members often ask us, "What happens next? Here's what happens after a funeral.
1) Notify life insurance agencies and obtain forms. We will be happy to provide this service for you.
2) If there is a will, contact the executor and attorney to discuss any necessary legal processes.
3) Notify your accountant or tax preparer.
4) Kutis Funeral Home files a form with the Social Security Administration notifying them that the death has occurred. We recommend that the family call the Social Security office nearest to you to discuss any benefits for which you may be entitled to.
5) Contact the deceased’s employer and/or union.
6) Notify any credit card companies of the death. Inquire about any cash back or points rewards before cancelling the account. Also inquire of any insurance on these accounts that pay off any outstanding balance.
7) Contact any organizations with which the deceased had a membership or subscription.
8) Notify banks, investment companies, and pension or retirement accounts.
9) Call your car insurance company. Lower rates may be available for the surviving spouse.
10) Update your life insurance policies. You may need to change the beneficiary of your own life insurance.
11) Notify the Department of Motor Vehicles to transfer titles on all vehicles, mobile homes, and boats registered in the deceased’s name.
12) Stop coverage for the deceased on any health insurance plans. Some companies have death benefit rider, so make sure you ask when you contact them.
13) Notify any utility departments (electric, telephone, cable, gas, water, etc.) to change billing information or discontinue service.
14) If burial was in a National cemetery, contact them to verify headstone information and discuss an optional inscription.
15) Send thank you notes for those who sent flowers and donations or showed a special act of kindness.
16) Contact a monument company for the purchase of a headstone or the placing of the final date.
St. Louis area bereavement support groups
Please Click Here to visit the following website for St. Louis area bereavement support groups.
This list is not intended to be complete, and the items listed above may not apply in all cases. You should contact your attorney or financial advisor for specific advice regarding your individual situation.
If Kutis Funeral Home can assist in any way, please do not hesitate to call. Thank You.