Due to recent events, you can now leave online condolences with each obituary posted on the Kutis Funeral Home website. COVID-19 Funeral Assistance – FEMA is now helping those that have lost a loved one from COVID-19. Click HERE to review the information on eligibility and requirements on the COVID-19 Funeral.

Clayton.jpg pic

In Loving Memory

Clayton, Charlene Mae (nee Bolling)

Charlene Mae Clayton, nee Bolling passed away after less than a full day of Hospice Care at Mar-Ka Nursing Facility, Mascoutah, Illinois, 62258.  She had bravely withstood intensive medical care since early January 2024 at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, HSHS, O’Fallon, Illinois 62269.  She was born in Cherryville, Crawford County, Missouri May 15, 1937 to Basil Hardy and Golden Martha Bolling nee Eaton.  Her siblings were Johney (Johnny), Mildred Naomi, Wilma Edith, Mary Lou, Gene, James Patrick, and twins Bobby Charles and Billy William.  She, her father, and several of her siblings were afflicted during birth or childhood by Measle and Tuberculosis outbreaks.  She, her sister Mary, and father were committed to the Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Mount Vernon, Missouri for many months due to a Diagnosis of Tuberculosis in the early 1950s.  After release, she migrated to St. Louis, Missouri for employment with a subsidiary of Phillip Morris Tobacco Company, named C. DeWitt Lukens Company which manufactured sutures for surgery repairs.  She married Elbert Eugene (Sonny) Clayton, July 31, 1959.  He was stationed at McGuire AFB, New Jersey.  He was shortly reassigned to Goose Bay AFB, Labrador.  Charlene was again diagnosed with Infectious Tuberculosis and was involuntarily returned to Mount Vernon Sanatorium.  In January 1960, the middle and lower part of her right lung was removed.  Isoniazid and Rifapentine (INH-RPT) were used together to treat Latent Tuberculosis Infections (LTBI) and she was prescribed this medication for many years after her second confinement at Mount Vernon.  After she was discharged the second time, she returned to work at Lukens but was medically released due to the possibility of infecting other employees or contaminating the product itself.  She was advised to apply for Social Security but was not approved until 1973.  No other company would hire her after that time.  As a new bride, she became pregnant and bore a son, Timothy Wayne Clayton, April 2, 1961.  This pregnancy and birth were so difficult that a decision was made to avoid another.  Her husband had committed to a U. S. Air Force Career and was sent to Vietnam in February 1962-63 and again March 69-70, then Korea May 75-76.  In between overseas assignments he was frequently sent for weeks at a time on Temporary Duty (TDY) assignments to other Air Force bases.  Through all these military years she maintained the household, raised a son, and frequently was hospitalized with pneumonia for weeks at a time.  The narrative above was made in order to present information as to how strong she was in mind and spirit to climb above her disabilities and constant medical problems and raise her son and maintain her home and family.  She was much loved by all who ever met and knew her.  She died looking into her husband’s eyes, and holding his hands, as she had for nearly 65 years, welcoming the relief she could feel coming.  God welcomed her with open arms!

Services: Visitation will be held at Kutis South County Chapel (5255 Lemay Ferry) on Wed. April 24th from 10AM until time of service at Noon. Interment JB National Cemetery.


3 thoughts on “Clayton, Charlene Mae (nee Bolling)”

  1. Sonny and family. So sorry to hear of Charlene’s passing. You were blessed to have her for 65 years. She’s not suffering anymore.

  2. Mrs. Clayton, my neighbor, had such a loving and kind demeanor about her. She was the kind of person that just had an aura that radiated light and warmth. She is now safely in the presence of the Almighty.


Leave a Comment